Uridine is a naturally occurring compound is often taken in combination with a Choline supplement (Alpha GPC and CDP Choline). It has been studied to benefit brain development, motivation and memory.
Table of Contents
- Quick overview of Uridine Monophosphate
- What is Uridine Monophosphate
- Studies on brain development
- Studies on memory and learning
- Studies on motivation and productivity
- How to take Uridine Monophosphate
- Stack Uridine Monophosphate with a Choline supplement for enhanced brain-cell repair
1. Quick overview of Uridine Monophosphate
- Benefits: Great to stack with any kind of "motivating" or dopamine enhancing supplement as it regulates your dopamine levels. Also a fantastic supplement to stack with a Choline supplement like Alpha GPC and CDP Choline as it boosts many of their memory and brain-development benefits.
- Actions: Increases Acetylcholine release, builds cell membranes, grows neurite outgrowth, produces synaptic brain proteins, modulates dopamine receptors.
- Who is it good for? People taking a Choline nootropic supplement, people who are desensitized to dopamine (motivation) supplements, people wanting additional brain-development.
- Quality of studies: 3000+ studies on Pubmed and heavily researched by Richard Wurtman at MIT.
- Time to effect: More of a long-term than immediate "feeling" since it's predominantly a memory/brain-development supplement.
- Stacks with: A Choline supplement like Alpha GPC or CDP Choline for enhanced Acetylcholine release and brain-cell repair.
- Recommended dose: 500mg - 1000mg per day
2. What is Uridine Monophosphate?
Uridine Monophosphate is brain-development nootropic that's classed as a nucleotide. That means it is used as a material in the "core" part of our brain-cells called the nucleus.
Once ingested, Uridine Monophosphate raises neural (brain) Uridine levels.
Essentially, there are 3 kinds of bio-hackers that want to take Uridine:
1. Those who want to "amplify" the effects of their Choline supplements - studies at MIT have concluded that Uridine + Choline synergize to create PC faster. PC is the material used to build the outer-wrapper of our brain-cells called membranes.
2. People who need to feel more motivated and may be desensitized to dopamine-enhancing supplements - Uridine Monophosphate is a dopamine receptor modulator. In other words, it adjusts your sensitivity to your motivation neurotransmitter Dopamine.
3. People who just want additional brian-development benefits - there are many studies proving Uridine's memory and brain-development benefits, see below.
3. Studies on brain development
A growing number of studies point to Uridine being a beneficial brain-development compound.
1. An animal study found that Uridine increased the release of the learning neurotransmitter Acetylcholine in the stratium area of the brain, which plays a key role in "reward motivation behaviour". (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 1)
2. Uridine increases the production of phosphatidylcholine, which is used to build and repair the outer layer of neurons called their cell membranes. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 1)
3. Uridine promotes brain plasticity, which is the ability of our brains to change and optimise its structure by forming new connections between neurons. (Semmelweis University - 2)
4. A 6 week animal study at MIT found that 330mg/day of Uridine significantly increased neurite outgrowth (by as much as 121%). Neurites and dendrites are the long "tentacles" that connect neurons (brain-cells) to each other. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 3)
5. Another 2008 study at MIT saw significant dendrite growth for neurons located in the hippocampus region of the brain - the memory center. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 4)
6. Uridine has also been studied to increase the production of synaptic brain proteins, which have long been established to be crucial in forming long-term memories. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Columbia University - 5)
4. Studies on memory and learning
1. A human study of 26 elderly people concluded that Uridine caused a "significant improvement in memory abilities (recall, recognition, and spatial short term)" (Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center - 6)
2. A human study of supplementing Uridine with Choline saw improvements in verbal and logical memory (Semmelweis University and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences - 7)
3. An animal study found that Uridine improved memory and learning. (Semmelweis University and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences - 7)
4. An animal study combining Uridine, Choline and DHA (found in omega 3) resulted in improved memory and learning, increased neurite outgrowth and increased Acetylcholine release. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 8)
5. Uridine was seen to "amplify" the functionality of Acetylcholine, the learning neurotransmitter that is used by neurons to communicate with each other. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 1)
5. Studies on motivation and productivity
Uridine has been studied to enhance motivation and productivity by encouraging the release of the motivation-to-work neurotransmitter Dopamine.
1. An animal study showed that Uridine supplementation increased the release of the motivation neurotransmitter dopamine.
2. Brain scans showed that people with higher dopamine levels tend to be "go-getters" and work harder. People with lower dopamine levels tend to be "slackers". (Vanderbilt University - 9)
3. Uridine is also seen to "modulate" the release of dopamine, strengthening the receptors when there is more dopamine being released to avoid getting desensitised. (Rutgers University - 10)
6. How to take Uridine Monophosphate
1. On its own: 500mg-1000mg of Uridine per day has been demonstrated to have cognitive-enhancing effects.
2. Combined with a Choline supplement: If you combine it with a Choline source (Alpha GPC or CDP Choline), it's a good idea to match the dosage. e.g. 500mg CDP Choline + 500mg Uridine.
3. Knowing your limits: Too much Uridine can cause diarrhoea and induce fevers.
4. Don't drink too much coffee: Some users report that drinking high amounts of coffee with Uridine can cause irritability.
7. Stack Uridine Monophosphate with a Choline supplement for enhanced brain-cell repair
Studies at MIT revealed that Uridine synergises extremely well with the Choline B-Vitamin.
The combination increases the production of neuron cell membranes and improves spatial awareness and selective attention .
I'd recommend either Alpha GPC or CDP Choline.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1852434/
- Semmelweis University - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21401495
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16055952
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2578826/
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Columbia University - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3367555/
- Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22432687
- Semmelweis University and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21401495
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2574024/
- Vanderbilt University - https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2012/05/01/dopamine-impacts-your-willingness-to-work/
- Rutgers University - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8372096